Google’s algorithms are complex, and the factors used to determine search engine rankings are numerous. One of the most mysterious of these factors is RankBrain, which Google has identified as one of the most prominent components in its algorithm—even in the top three! For those who are unfamiliar with RankBrain, the foremost thing to understand about this program is that it seeks to emulate user behavior. Thus, for companies trying to optimize their website for RankBrain, the focus should be on user experience, and on creating content that’s made with the end reader in mind.
This implies a number of key SEO strategies—some on-site, some off. Here are just a few of the things you might do to optimize your own online assets for RankBrain.
On-Site Optimization for RankBrain
Remember the general rule of thumb here: Anything that promotes a better user experience is ultimately going to be beneficial to you as you seek to optimize for RankBrain. This includes the following categories:
- Fast loading time for your website, on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Mobile responsiveness/ ease of use on mobile devices.
- The presence of schema and markup.
- Content that is both unique and customer-centered—i.e., content that offers practical, actionable takeaways.
- The use of engaging videos and graphics.
- Navigation that is clear and easy to understand.
- On e-commerce websites, easy ways for customers to checkout or to submit their information.
- The proper use of analytics to reduce bounce rate, etc.
Off-Site Optimization for RankBrain
In addition to all of the above, there are also steps you can take for off-site optimization. These are equally important for making your site RankBrain compliant. A few examples include:
- Earning positive review and high rankings from Google, Facebook, Yelp, and other online review and social media sites.
- Increasing brand awareness/ citations on other websites and blogs.
- Improving the accuracy of your local listings.
- Providing content sufficiently unique and valuable to earn backlinks from other relevant and authoritative websites.
- Disavowing links from websites that sell links, or that have been penalized by Google in the past.
- Never resorting to duplicitous or “black hat” SEO tactics, such as buying links.
What you’ll notice about all of these strategies is that they ultimately hinge on the idea of quality—of making your website a useful and engaging resource for the end user. That’s precisely why Google developed RankBrain, and why it places such a high premium on it: It ultimately encourages webmasters and SEO professionals to drop the tricks and instead focus on creating value.
RankBrain and Enterprise SEO
Clearly, there are a lot of balls to keep in the air here, which is why RankBrain optimization is something best left to professionals. The enterprise SEO experts at Sefati Consulting Group can provide guidance in carefully positioning a website for maximum RankBrain success. To learn more, we invite you to contact Sefati Consulting today, online or at 23016 Lake Forest Dr. #307, Laguna Hills, CA 92653.