Not all SEO endeavors are created equal. The characteristics of your SEO campaign can vary depending on the size and scope of your business. For large enterprises juggling multiple sites and a global presence, the demands of SEO can be especially rigorous.
That’s why larger corporations typically trust their needs to an enterprise SEO consultant… someone who’s skilled in managing large-scale campaigns. But here again, you can’t assume that all enterprise SEO consultants carry the same level of experience. It’s important to do some due diligence, seeking a consultant who excels in the following seven categories.
Essential Characteristics of an Enterprise SEO Specialist
- A knowledge of branding. When you’re doing SEO for a major company, you’re not just looking to get big rankings; you’re also looking to manage perceptions of a well-known brand. A good enterprise SEO consultant must be seasoned in brand management.
- A collaborative spirit. Enterprise SEO is a big job, too much for any one person to tackle it on their own. Look for an enterprise SEO consultant who works well with others, effectively collaborating with the PR department, data analysts, etc.
- Cross-channel marketing expertise. SEO never happens in a vacuum. For large enterprises, SEO is typically paired with PPC, content marketing, social media marketing, and beyond. The right SEO consultant will be able to harmonize these different channels, ensuring they work together, not against one another.
- Familiarity with large-scale projects. In a lot of ways, enterprise SEO is defined by its sense of scale. An enterprise SEO consultant may need to keep an eye on multiple websites and online assets, and these sites tend to be complex rather than simple. Make sure you hire a consultant who is comfortable overseeing truly vast websites.
- Commitment to data. One of the advantages of enterprise SEO is that these large campaigns tend to have a lot of historic data to work with. However, actually leveraging and interpreting that data can be a full-time job unto itself. Look for an enterprise SEO consultant who can harness the necessary analytics and use them to guide the overall strategy.
- A strong technical background. Any good enterprise SEO consultant should have a strong background working with different kinds of technology, because that’s a big part of the job description! Many of the best enterprise SEO consultants are former developers and/or have Computer Science degrees, which means they can provide leadership to their technology teams.
- Project management acumen. Project management is an important part of enterprise SEO, as there are a lot of moving pieces that have to be properly coordinated; and while enterprise SEO experts aren’t officially project managers, they must be good planners and know how to use various PM tools to coordinate their teams and achieve common goals.
Find the Right Enterprise SEO Consultant to Meet Your Needs
As you can see, there are a number of ways in which enterprise SEO consultants might be properly evaluated, including both technical acumen as well as leadership and management skills.
When thinking about your enterprise SEO needs, don’t hesitate to interview multiple professionals, asking them how they measure up in each of these categories and ensuring you find the right person to lead your enterprise forward.
To begin the process, reach out to our founder, Al Sefati, renowned for his expertise in enterprise SEO consulting. Al would love to talk with you further about your company’s needs, and to explain how his depth of experience might be the perfect fit.