Note: This post was originally written in 2018, but it was edited to reflect the current state of Enterprise Search in 2019 and predict trend for 2020.
In 2019, we saw the big push By Google towards machine learning. We actually saw that for many of our paid search campaigns, Google’s Smart Campaigns were outperforming our manual campaigns, and Google’s Responsive ads solutions were outperforming some of our best ads that had perviously converted well.
Some say that Google is trying to promote it’s machine learning algorithm to get rid of middle man, the search marketers. And while that theory may somewhat hold water, we don’t believe it is the actual intension of Google to put us, the Search Marketers, out of business. It is however the goal of Google to provide the best experience for their users, and as users search behaviors are changing fast, machine learning is a great way to deliver the best and most relevant ads to the right users.
And that takes us to our topic;
What Is Enterprise Search Marketing and What Does it Entail?
Enterprise Search Marketing is for larger companies with larger paid search budget and it entails usage of machine learning to deliver highly targeted paid ads in order to attract the right users, and toconvert according to set goals and KPIs.
Consumers search behaviors is ever changing, and it has become near impossible for search marketers to keep up with those trends manually so getting help from machine learning is extremely important for the marketers to stay atop everything and deliver results for their clients.
What Does Enterprise Search Marketing Involve?
Some key points about enterprise search marketing:
- At the enterprise level, paid search spending tends to be massive; in some cases, it totals millions of dollars each year in highly targeted search Ads.
- Large companies tend to have large websites, which means search is more complicated—simply because there are more content, more products, and more services to promote.
- Because of the sheer scope of enterprise search efforts, machine learning, smart bidding and automation is absolutely critical.
- Enterprise search marketing looks at the user’s entire journey—not merely at the last click credit. In other words, there are multiple campaigns such as branding, awareness, lead generation/sales campaigns, and retargeting.
- Data science and analytics are extremely important here; due to the scope and expense of enterprise search marketing, everything needs to be justified by an obvious data point.
- User and customer testing are critical for fine-tuning and perfecting strategy.
- Likewise, project management and planning are musts—again, just think about the scope here.
Getting Started with Enterprise Search Marketing
The end result of a good enterprise search marketing campaign? A high level of visibility throughout the consumer search journey. In 2019 Google improved its machine learning and introduced new features and we can only expect machine learning to be adopted even more by enterprise search marketers in 2020.