While SEO stands alone as its own distinct discipline, it’s by no means isolated from other disciplines; indeed, the implications of SEO are far-reaching. Consider these examples:
- Web developers have to follow SEO best-practices to ensure sites are properly indexed by Google’s algorithms.
- UX and design teams must create user experiences that capture organic traffic and minimize bounce rates, a key SEO ranking signal.
- Content writers have to be mindful both of human audiences and Google search bots, ensuring both user engagement and technical SEO perfection.
Organizing Enterprise SEO
Because SEO touches on so many other processes and disciplines, it has historically been tough to position it on an org chart; simply put, it’s hard to determine exactly where SEO belongs. Indeed, there is a growing trend in large enterprises to organize SEO into a team of cross-disciplinary specialists, united in their commitment to generating the best possible product (e.g., a website that ranks).
This team is given the straightforward yet by no means simplistic task of creating the best possible website and establishing a robust online presence for the company. The team itself may consist of several different specialists who all report to a VP of Product, or in some cases a VP of Enterprise SEO. A critical consideration for any large enterprise is that, because SEO touches on so many other processes and disciplines, it must be positioned in a way that it can not only impact other teams, but also be impacted by other teams.
Enterprise SEO Job Description
In developing this porous approach to enterprise SEO, it may be helpful to enlist a specialist who has ample experience doing SEO for large-scale organizations. The standard job description for such an enterprise SEO specialist may include all of the following:
- Defining SEO best-practices and ensuring all teams are aware of them.
- Locating opportunities for organic growth.
- Working with developers to ensure technical SEO optimization.
- Working with creative and editorial teams to ensure content is developed for maximum SEO impact.
Partnering with analytics team to identify problems and track progress.
Enterprise SEO Metrics
The enterprise SEO team should also ensure the right KPIs are in place. Some of the best metrics for enterprise SEO include:
- Crawling, rendering, and indexing
- Real ranking
As you consider some of the demands of establishing a robust enterprise SEO arm, from structuring your team to establishing clear metrics, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’d love to chat!