This post was originally written in 2017, but it was edited on 1/8/2020 with the latest industry updats.
If 2019 was the year of growth of voice search and enhanced mobile SEO and mobile marketing, 2020 is going to be the year of video marketing and Youtube optimization. Make no mistake, we all know YouTube and video marketing has been around for a long time and many markters have been taking advantage of YouTube to promote their products and brands, but it has also been neglected by many digital marketers, CMOs, marketing and business leaders often find youtube marketing too difficult and don’t fully understand the potential ROI.
5 SEO Benefits of YouTube
- A Boost in Branded Search: Videos are great for branding. By creating and promoting videos, you can increase awareness of your brand hence you may see a boost in branded search. YouTube, in particular, is very helpful as it is considered to be the second largest search engine in the US. Many consumers start their journey on YouTube and we have seen those brands with active YouTube channel have a stronger brand visibility in search engines.
- Increase in Referral Traffic: Videos are a great source of referral traffic when they are hosted on YouTube, social media and other video hosting sites. YouTub should be the primary place to host your videos to earn referral traffic since it has over 1.5 Billions active users watching millions of videos each day.
- Easier Google Ranking: YouTube videos rank easier in Google results especially for informational searches. Don’t believe us? Simply Google “how to sing like a pro” and you’ll find the first results are actually videos. Searching “How to Sing Like a Pro” you’ll see the top 4 results are video results that get such a great visibility over non-video results.
- Diversified Content: Content diversification has been an SEO strategy for a long time. Google rewards brands with diversified content by making them more visible in the search results. Generally, when you have the different type of content around the same topic, you tend to rank better for that topic. In this case, if you have a blog post on How to Sing Like a Pro and you have a quality video explaining it, your content will rank easier for those keywords.
- More Shares: Good and useful videos are shared more than traditional text-based content. These videos can get shared on social media, via email, messages or even embedded on other websites; A great strategy to earn more traffic, links, and authority to rank better on Google.
6 Effective 2020 YouTube Strategies
The great thing about video marketing is that you can get creative and always see some sort of positive results. But to save time and resources, it is often a good idea to follow proven tactics and strategies adopted by others and below are some strategies that have been working for our clients in 2017 that will continue to be even more effective in 2020:
- Sales Pages Videos: Create videos for your primary pages, such as homepage, product and services page. Explain an overview of your product or services and how they can benefit your consumer.
- Local Videos: If you are a local business, then creating local videos will help you rank better in local results. Take advantage of local events and popular local places including them in your video if possible.
- E-Commerce Videos: In addition to SEO boost, we have seen a tremendous amount of conversion in e-commerce whenever there were product videos available. Product videos give a more visual representation of the product to customers.
- Resource Videos: Providing how-to videos are extremely useful for the users especially at earlier phases of consumers decision journey and post purchase, for example support videos for customers to keep them happy so they stay loyal to the brand.
- Blog Videos: Video blogging or V-Blogging may become more popular in 2018. Video blogging is not a new tactic, but it is becoming more common and our data shows that will increase in 2018.
- Live Streaming Videos: Early stages of buyers’ journey, especially for B2B can utilize live streaming to their advantage to improve SEO. YouTube Live Streaming can actually boost your organics rankings because live streamings videos are more engaging and search engines reward you for it. It’s like you’re producing fresh content similar to news and search engines in particular Google like fresh relevant and useful content.
A Practical YouTube SEO checklist for 2020
As mentioned earlier, we recommend YouTube for your video hosting for the reasons we mentioned above. But posting videos on Youtube isn’t enough! You still have to create quality and useful videos for the users, and make sure your videos are optimized. Below are some useful tips and tricks you can use to optimize your videos to youtube for SEO.
2020 YouTube SEO Checklist
- Ensure targeted keywords are in your file names. For example, if keyword is “How to Sing Like a Pro”, the name of the file should be “how-to-sing-like-pro.mov”
- Ensure targeted keywords in your video title included with other relevant keywords. For the same keyword example above, we should have “Singing Tips: How to Sing Like a Pro “
- Place additional relevant keywords within the video description naturally
- Embed your video on your website where it blogs. For example, the editorial videos usually blog on the blog and resource pages while the sales videos belong to the sales page.
- Promote your videos on social media to encourage your users to like and share your thosevideos and subscribe to your Youtube Channel
- Create engaging and quality content that viewers can use and will watch until the end
- Add new videos to your Youtube channel frequently.
- Create a detailed and professional channel page.
Additional YouTube SEO Insights & Factors
In addition to youtube SEO checklist above, it is important to understand YouTube’s ranking algorithm which is a bit different than Google ranking algorithm. How users react to your videos seem to have great impact on your YouTube rankings and below are some insights to keep in mind when optimizing your youtube videos.
- The number of unique organic views may help in your YouTube ranking.
- The rate of viewer growth over time seems to also have positive impact on your ranking
- The percentage of viewers who watch the video until the end seems to be another ranking factor
- Data shows that videos whose viewers drop off too quickly, don’t rank as well
- The diversity of locations from which you get viewers helps rankings for that location
- How many total subscribers you have to your YouTube channel seems to be a factor as well
– YouTube has over 1.5 billion logged-in monthly users.
– Over 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube each minute!
– Near 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube each day.
– Daily visitors to Youtube exceeds 30 million visitors.
YouTube SEO is one of the services we have been offering for past couple of years that we are officially introducing next year, so please feel free to contact us should you need any assistance for your YouTube SEO campaings.